Every skin tone is beautiful, but you can't dress them all the same! Colors are beautiful notes that work together like the melody in a song. Like notes, colors must be balanced harmoniously to create a finished product that flows. Do you know what the loudest note is? YOUR SKIN TONE!
Color is an accessory and it should be treated as such. With that being said, the darker your skin, the more colorful you are! You are a walking accessory! Understanding this is key to dressing stylishly and appropriately and is beautiful concept! Think of it this way, your naked canvas is already accessorized. Your shell is already fabulous and as you adorn it with clothes and jewels, don't outshine the beauty of the foundation. Here are key things to keep in mind when dressing a black girl.
Top Tips for Dressing Black Women
- Let Your Silhouette Speak
- Highlight one area. Choose a flattering body part.
- The darker the skin, the brighter the color. Go for bright and highly saturated colors. Avoid pastels and muted colors. Dark skin is complemented by deep and rich colors.
- Less is more! Minimal, well-fitted pieces are the key to amazing style here.
- Choose 3 accessories for your outfit. Your SKIN is #1. So: earrings, rings, necklaces, hats, glasses, bracelets and etcetra are open for your choosing, but choose up to 2.
Focus on the silhouette. Black women tend to have curvier shapes and the curvier the shape, the more of an accessory it becomes. Fit is always my #1 tip when getting dressed and if it fits well again a curvy body, be assured that you've got an accessory that's doing a lot of talking. In these cases, be even more keen to your accessory selections.
Black is beautiful, but it can be easily over accessorized and profject the wrong intended message if not done correctly. Darker skin tones have so many advantages when it comes to fashion, but use your powers wisely!
What do you think? Comment below....